How can I save money on home heating oil this season?
Cooler weather is coming – and so are fall and winter heating bills. But before you reach for the “heat” setting on your thermostat, it pays to take some time to consider how to make smarter energy conservation choices in your Hudson Valley home so you can save on your heating oil delivery bills.
Here are eight tips and tricks you can try to cut your heating bills this fall and winter:
- Seal Drafts – Did you know that you could lose as much as 15 percent of the air you paid to heat through cracks around your doors and windows – not to mention letting cold air in your house, which will make your furnace or boiler work even harder to keep you comfortable? Installing weather stripping and door sweeps are inexpensive fixes, along with re-caulking outside your windows to ensure tight seals.
- Clear your vents – Airflow is a key to keeping your heating system running as efficiently as possible (and save money in the process); keep your vents clear of furniture, curtains, and other obstructions.
- Program your thermostat – A programmable thermostat helps you save money on home heating oil by efficiently managing the temperature of your home throughout the day. Use your thermostat properly and you could save as much as 10 percent on your heating bills, according to the U.S. Department of Energy.
- Let the sun in – Open any window treatments during the day to let sun in – just remember to close those blinds and curtains at night to keep that warm air in.
- Maintain your heating equipment – An annual tune-up will keep your equipment running efficiently and reliably all winter long.
- Reverse your ceiling fan – Your ceiling fans reverse with the flip of a switch; make sure yours is rotating clockwise, which pushes rising warm air back you’re your room.
- Consider equipment upgrades – The efficiency of a 15-year-old oil furnace or boiler could dip as low as 60 percent – at least 25 to 30 percent less than a new model. That means that an upgrade could pay for itself in just a few years in fuel savings alone – even more if you consider the cost of inevitable heating repairs.
- Bundle up – Wear warm sweaters, sip hot tea, use flannel sheets – whatever it takes to stay warm without cranking up the heat to the 70+ degree range.
Want to save even more money on your heating oil bills? Become an Economy Oil customer. You’ll get the same quality heating oil and reliable heating oil deliveries that you get from other Hudson Valley oil suppliers at a fraction of the cost. Contact us today to learn more!