How Big Of An Oil Tank Do I Need?
If you’re heating oil storage tank is more than 15 years old, it could be due (or even overdue) for a replacement – especially if you have a single-walled steel tank (not sure what you have? We can help you with determining that).
The question is, how large of a heating oil tank will you need? Let’s take a look at a few considerations.
Oil Tank Basics
- The most common size for a residential oil tank is 275 gallons, although heating oil tanks may also come in different sizes depending on whether they’ll be installed above or below ground. Some other common above-ground tank sizes include 330 gallon (common for larger homes) and 500 gallon; underground tanks can be 1,000 gallons or larger.
- The “nameplate capacity” of your tank (the size indicated on the side of your tank) doesn’t represent he number of gallons of fuel that it will actually hold; there will always be some debris at the bottom of the tank as it ages. A 275-gallon tank will typically only hold about 235 gallons of heating oil.
- Most one or two-bedroom homes can get by with a 275-gallon heating oil tank; larger three- or four-bedroom homes sometimes need a 330 or 500-gallon tank. Other sizing factors to consider when shopping for a heating oil tank replacement include:
- Physical space: Some homes can’t fit larger heating oil tanks; be sure to measure your space before you start to shop for your tank.
- Family planning: As your family grows, so does your energy consumption; better to plan for this in advance if you can.
- Lifestyle preferences: Is your family trying to reduce oil use? Do you spend long stretches away from home? Do you have elderly people under your roof that prefer a warmer house? All of these factors affect the amount of heating oil you need – and how big a tank your tank should be.
Once you’ve thought about these sizing factors, you’ll have a better idea where to begin your search for a heating oil tank upgrade. From there, you can move on to other considerations, including tank construction materials, oil tank brands and their warranties, proper tank placement, and more.
Fill your oil tank with reliable and economical heating oil deliveries in the Hudson Valley from the pros at Economy Oil. Contact us today to learn more about heating oil delivery in Wappingers Falls, Hopewell Junction, Poughkeepsie, Kingston, Saugerties, Newburgh and elsewhere in Dutchess, Columbia, Orange, Sullivan, Delaware, Greene, and Ulster counties.