Ways To Save On Your Heating Bills This Winter
We’ve had a relatively mild winter so far this year, but we all know how quickly that can change here in the Hudson Valley. When it does, you’ll be paying more to stay safe and comfortable as your furnace or boiler labors to keep pace with dropping temperatures.
The good news is If that there are ways to help out your heating system so it doesn’t have to work quite as hard to keep your family cozy. Here are five cost-effective ways to take a load off your heating system and drop your energy bills in the coming months.
Home Energy Saving Checklist
- Minimize air leaks – Many homes – especially older ones – are notoriously drafty – meaning they let the air you paid to heat out and the frigid outdoor air in. To combat air leaks, try inexpensive measures like window plastic, caulking, weather stripping, and doorsweeps (under exterior doors and between conditioned and unconditioned spaces).
- Add insulation – Most homes in the Hudson Valley are not insulated to proper R-values. To learn more about where, how, and how much to insulate your home, check out this page from the U.S. Department of Energy.
- Change air filters regularly – A blocked air filter makes your furnace work harder than it should to heat your home. That overwork will raise your energy bills and cause unnecessary wear and tear on your heating equipment. Check your filters regularly during heating season – once a month or so, especially if you have pets that shed.
- Use your thermostat –A programmable thermostat can reduce heating costs by 10 percent or more by controlling temperature when no one is home – or when you’re asleep and won’t notice the difference.
- Have your equipment professionally maintained every year – A heating system loses an average of about five percent efficiency every year it doesn’t receive care from a heating pro – meaning that an annual heating tune-up could pay for itself by the efficiency it maintains alone. Routine care also prevents long-term equipment wear and tear and can even keep your warranty in place. The bottom line: professional preventive care is a must for your oil-fired heating equipment – if you haven’t had it this year, schedule service before the real winter weather hits.
Want another way to save money this winter? Switch to Economy Oil for heating oil deliveries in Dutchess, Columbia, Orange, Sullivan, Delaware, Greene, and Ulster counties, NY. You’ll get the same top-quality fuel as you’ll get anywhere else in our service area without paying the big-buck prices our competitors charge. Contact us today to become an Economy Oil customer and experience the difference for yourself!