Seven cost-effective cold weather energy conservation tips
The leaves are turning here in the Hudson Valley – which means that cooler days and nights are on their way.
For many people, the change in seasons means higher energy bills. But with a little know-how and some simple changes in your lifestyle, you can keep those bills as low as possible in the months ahead.
Here are six cost-effective ways to help you save energy this winter.
- Use your programmable thermostat – Proper use of a programmable thermostat will help you save as much as 10 percent on your heating bill, says the U.S. Department of Energy.
- Seal air leaks – Keeping cold air out and warm air in will save you plenty over the course of a long Hudson Valley winter. For a minimal investment in caulk, weatherstripping, and door sweeps, you can keep air leaks at bay. Consider adding insulation to your home, too – it’s one of the best bang-for-the-buck ways to save money on your energy bills.
- Keep your filters clean – If you have a forced air system (one with vents rather than radiators or baseboards), clean filters will protect your furnace from overwork; that means lower bills and less maintenance for your equipment. Check your filters once a month, cleaning or replacing them as needed.
- Insulate water pipes – Minimize heat loss by insulating hot water pipes in untreated areas of your home, including attics, basements, and crawl spaces.
- Take advantage of the sun – Keep windows open to absorb solar heat during the day, then keep that heat from escaping by closing curtains at night. Window treatments can help manage solar energy throughout the year.
- Close your fireplace damper – An open fireplace damper is like an open window; close it when you’re not using your fireplace.
- Keep vents and baseboards clear – Move any furniture, drapery or rugs that keep heat from circulating into the room.
Be smart, stay warm, and save money this heating season with these energy saving tips. Want another smart tip? Save money on heating oil with discounts from Economy Oil! Schedule your delivery today so you’ll be ready for any weather.